TechAwards is a reader-supported website. Purchases made through links may earn a commission.
Working out at home has become more important than ever these days, as it’s become harder to get to the gym or folks are just leery of taking part in a crowded fitness class.
Fortunately, there are a number of high-tech workout options that now bring live-action, instructor-led workout classes to your home.
Two of the leaders in the connected rowing workout space are Hydrow and CITYROW GO, but which of these rowers is going to be the best fit for you?
Our team of fitness experts have put the Hydrow and CITYROW GO to the test in a head-to-head battle – who came out on top?
Keep reading to find out…
CITYROW GO Max vs Hydrow Features Battle
- 1 CITYROW GO Max vs Hydrow Features Battle
- 2 Workout Head-to-Head: A Look at their Connected Features
- 3 Price Compare: Is Hydrow or CITYROW GO More Affordable?
- 4 Bottom Line: Deciding if CITYROW GO or Hydrow is Best for You
Both of these rowers have a lot to offer in a head-to-head battle, and as top-of-the-line machines, they’re packed full of the features you’d expect in a high-end rowing machine.
Here’s a look at what each rower brings to the table.
- Elegant and Sophisticated Design
- 22 Inch HD Touchscreen Display
- Front-Facing Speakers for Immersive Experience
- Designed to Simulate Rowing on the Water
- Live + On Demand Instructor-Led Workouts
- Large Variety of Workout Options: Workouts on the Water, Strength Training, Heart Pumping, and more.
- Workouts Designed for the Rower and Off it
- Virtually Silent Rowing Mechanism
- Made from Industrial-Grade Materials, but Designed for Home
- 10-Roller System Seat for Ultimate Comfort
- Bluetooth Ready
- Can be Stored Upright with Purchase of Storage Kit
- Dimensions: 86″L x 25″W x 47″H
- Stored Dimensions: 25″W x 33″D x 86″H
- Financing Available – Try Hydrow Risk Free for 30 Days
- Hydrow Weight Limit
CITYROW GO Max Features
- Built on a WaterRower, a leader in the rowing machine industry
- Beautiful, industrial looking design
- 19.5 Inch HD Touchscreen
- High Fidelity Speakers
- Bluetooth Ready
- Stand and Store Option for Easy Storage
- Get Feedback and Workout Metrics in Real Time
- Top-Quality Instructors
- Workout on or off the Rower
- Large Library of Live + On Demand, Instructor-Led Workouts
- Large Variety of Workouts: Cardio, Core, Endurance, HIIT, Kinstretch, and Many More
- App Can Be Used with Any Rower, if you already have a machine you want to use
- Financing Available
- Industry leading warranty: Their rowers come with a 5-year frame warranty, a 3-year warranty on non-electronic components, and a one-year tablet warranty.
Workout Head-to-Head: A Look at their Connected Features
Both of these machines have a lot to offer when it comes to the live and on demand workouts they offer. This can make it pretty hard to decide which one is better, as they both do an excellent job bringing on demand instructor-led workouts to your home.
RELATED: Aviron vs Hydrow
There are some subtle differences, however, that may make you prefer one when compared to the other, so let’s take a look at each in a bit more detail.
The Hydrow Workouts
One reason you may want to consider Hydrow, is if you’re looking for an experience that simulates rowing on the water. Not only is their rower designed to make you feel like you’re rowing on water, but their workouts are as well.
When you connect to a Hydrow workout, your instructors will often be on the water, rowing in real time. That means you may see a boat go by, hear birds in the background, and notice and even “feel” the waves. Their large HD screen, front-loaded speakers, and rowing in real time in water all combine to make one of the most immersive experiences possible.
Here are a few highlights from the Hydrow workout experience:
- Live and On Demand Outdoor Workouts
- Not a Controlled Studio Environment, So Expect the Unexpected
- Break a Sweat in Beautiful, Breathtaking Destinations Around the World
- Large Library of Live and On Demand Workouts to Match Your Mood and Workout Preferences
- Journeys Option: Unguided Rows through Scenic Waterways from Around the World
- Workouts off the Rower: Yoga, Pilates, Strength Training and More
- Hydrow Community is Built around Support and Encouragement
- Hydrow App Lets you Take Workouts with On-the-Go
The CITYROW GO Workouts
CITYROW GO offers a studio workout experience, that is built on years in the business after they started the first rowing-focused boutique fitness studio in New York City back in 2014. If an instructor-led, studio-based workout experience is what you’re after, then the CITYROW GO may be the machine you’ve been looking for.
- Huge Library of On Demand Studio Workouts
- Train on or off the Rower
- See Performance Metrics in Real Time
- Top-Rated Instructors
- Workout App Can be Used with Other Rowers as Well
- Workouts Include Endurance, HIIT, Cardio, Core, Stretching, and More
- New Classes Added Weekly
- Fitness Classes for All Abilities
Price Compare: Is Hydrow or CITYROW GO More Affordable?
Pricing is pretty comparable between these two rowers, if you’re trying to decide between the two, we’re guessing it will come down to the type of workouts each rower offers, but here’s a quick pricing overview (these prices were accurate at the time of this writing, but are subject to change at any time):
- CITYROW GO Max: Starting at $2,195 Plus App Subscription
- Hydrow: Starting at $2,245 Plus App Subscription
As you can see, there’s about a $50 difference between these two rowers, which is pretty negligible when you’re spending more than two thousand dollars on a rowing machine.
RELATED: Hydrow Before and After
That said, if you’re looking for the cheaper option, CITYROW GO has the more affordable starting point, and they even have a more budget-friendly model, although it’s less comparable to the Hydrow based on its features.
Bottom Line: Deciding if CITYROW GO or Hydrow is Best for You
We’ve outlined what each of these top-rated rowing machine brings to the table in terms of quality, features, and workout options. Now it’s up to you to decide which one matches your budget, workout preferences, and personal style.
If you’re still on the fence, here a here a couple of factors that may help you decide:
Buy the Hydrow if:
- You Want a Simulated Water Rowing Experience
- You Like Rowing on the Water
- You Want Live + On Demand Workouts That Are on Scenic Rivers and Bodies of Water in Real Time
- You Don’t Want a Studio Experience, Rather Prefer Working Out Outdoors
- You Like it’s Look, Feel and Design
- You Want to Try it Risk-Free for 30 Days
Buy the CITYROW GO if:
- You Prefer the Studio Workout Experience
- You Want a Large Catalog of On Demand Studio Workouts
- You Prefer Their Design and Easy-Storage Option (It’s Built on a WaterRower)
- You Want a Wide Variety of Workout Options
- You’re Intrigued by their Financing Options