TechAwards is a reader-supported website. Purchases made through links may earn a commission.
Rowing is one of the best workouts on the planet, so it’s no wonder that rowing machines are quickly growing in popularity.
With so many amazing options, though, it can be hard to decide which rower is going to work best for you.
In this article, we’ll be comparing two of our top-rated rowing machines – Concept2 vs Ergatta. Each machine offers a very different experience, so while the Concept 2 may work great for one person, Ergatta is going to be the better fit for the next.
Fortunately, our team of fitness experts has had a chance to put these machines to the test, and we’re here to share the results with you.
By the end of this article, you should have a better idea about whether or Ergatta or Concept2 is the right rower for you.
What’s Your Workout Style? Connected vs the Traditional Rowing Experience
- 1 What’s Your Workout Style? Connected vs the Traditional Rowing Experience
- 2 Equipment Comparison: Ergatta’s WaterRower vs Concept2
- 3 Cost Compare: Ergatta & Concept2 Pricing Options
- 4 Summary: Should You Pick Ergatta or Concept2?
The first thing you will need to decide when trying to pick between the Concept 2 and Ergatta, is what you’re looking for in your rower.
Ergatta and Concept 2 offer two very different experiences – The Ergatta offers an amazing rower, combined with a “gaming” based connected workout experience. Concept2, on the other hand, is an amazing rower, but isn’t currently “connected.”
These two major differences, will most likely be a deciding factor in determining if you’re an Ergatta person, or if you’d prefer Concept2.
With than in mind, let’s take a quick look at what the Ergatta experience is all about.
The Ergatta Gaming-Inspired Workout Platform
Ergatta offers a truly one-of-a-kind rowing workout. They’re the first company we’ve reviewed that has introduced a competitive, gaming-inspired streaming workout service that will make you look forward to a heart-pounding rowing session.
Ergatta is the rower for those who want an interactive, connected workout experience, but don’t necessarily like instructor-led studio classes.
The Ergatta gaming-style workouts are fun, interactive, offer real-time feedback, and allow you to compete other members of their workout community.
Here are the workouts they currently offer:
- Push Programs: These are goal-based training plans, that build as you go. That means as you get stronger and better at rowing, you can expected to be pushed slightly harder every time you workout. It culminates with you reaching your goal and completing a final challenge.
- Interval Workouts: These are HIIT-style workout programs, that build endurance, give you real-time feedback, and allow you to make personalized targets.
- Open Row: These are rows that you will lead on your own. Push it as hard as you want, or tone things down – your rowing experience will be up to you. Set distance or time goals.
- Race Workouts: Compete against the Ergatta community with competitive-style races that pit you head-to-head against fellow rowers.
Here’s a quick look at Ergatta in action:
Think Ergatta looks like the perfect connected rowing experience for you?
Does Concept2 Have a Connected Workout Option?
Concept2 doesn’t currently offer their own connected rowing workout experience. That doesn’t mean they don’t offer an amazing rowing experience, however.
Their rowers are considered to be some of the best in the business, which is why they’re often found at fitness studios and gyms.
If you’re looking for a connected rowing experience, and prefer to use a Concept2 as your rowing machine, you can always use it with a rowing app, like CITYROW GO’s or Hydrow’s.
The Concept2 does come with a performance monitor which offers a range of workouts, games, and tracks your performance metrics.
As you can see they also offer an iPad mount where you can stream workouts or one of the apps that we mentioned above.
Equipment Comparison: Ergatta’s WaterRower vs Concept2
Another factor that may have you on the fence when deciding between the Ergatta and Concept 2 is the actual rower itself. They both offer a different look, feel, and rowing experience, so it’s important to know what each rower brings to the table before making your final purchasing decision.
Here’s a brief overview of the equipment features of the Ergatta and Concept2.
Ergatta’s WaterRower Overview
Ergatta (read review) is built on a beautiful cherry wood WaterRower, which is manufactured in the United States. WaterRower is known for making some of the best rowers in the world, and have been in business for more than 30 years.
Taking one look at the Ergatta WaterRower, and you can tell that this is a machine that you would be proud to have on display in your home. And for those times when you may need to tuck it out of sight, it can easily be stored upright and be put out of the way.
WaterRower’s unique design also uses real water to build resistance, which makes your rowing experience stealthily quiet, which is nice for those of us currently working out at home.
Here’s a quick rundown of the Ergatta specs:
- Made from Cherry Wood Grown in the U.S.
- Commercial Grade Materials, But Designed for the Home
- Compact & Portable – Takes up Very Little Space, and is Easy to Store
- Generous 5 Year Warranty
- Built-in 17.3″ HD Touchscreen for Streaming Your Ergatta Workouts
- Real Water Used to Create Incredibly Smooth Resistance
- Near-Silent Rowing Mechanism
- Dimensions: 86″ x 23″ x 40″
- Assembled for You by a Professional Upon Delivery
Concept2 Equipment Overview
Concept 2 has a couple of different rowers to pick from, with their Model D probably being the most popular. They’re all pretty similar in size, look and feel, so we’ll stick with the Model D as our baseline Concept2 rower to detail here.
The Concept2 is easy to set up, store, and offers an amazing rowing experience.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some of the features the Model D brings to the table:
- PM5 Performance Monitor
- Flywheel Design Creates Quiet and Smooth Rowing Experience
- Uses Air Resistance Generated by Fanned Flywheel
- Resistance Can Be Adjusted on a Scale of 1 to 10 Using their Damper System
- Made from Durable Materials and Built to Last
- Welded Steel Support Legs, Double Powder Coated Finish
- Footprint: 8′ x 2′
- Easy to Store and Transport
- Assembly Required, but Rower Should Be Ready to Go in about 20-30 Minutes
- 5 Year Warranty
Cost Compare: Ergatta & Concept2 Pricing Options
The final deciding factor when choosing between the Concept2 and Ergatta rowers is the price tag. These two rowing machines have two very different starting points when it comes to their price, so if you’re looking for the cheaper rower, it’s important to know how much each rower costs.
Here were the pricing options for these two rowers at the time of this writing – these figures are subject to change at any time:
- Ergatta: $2,199 (Financing available – get more details at their website)
- Concept2: Starts at $900
As you can see, the Concept2 is the cheaper rowing option, so if price is the most important factor for you, then you may want to start there. However, if you’re looking for a fully-connected, immersive rowing experience, Ergatta may be worth the higher price tag.
Summary: Should You Pick Ergatta or Concept2?
By now, you should pretty much have all of the information you need to decide if Ergatta or Concept2 is the right rowing experience for you. Both of these rowers have a lot to offer, and either one can be a great choice depending on what you’re looking for in your machine.
If you’re still on the fence, here are a few final tips that may help make your purchasing decision a bit easier:
Buy the Ergatta if…
- You’re looking for an immersive, fun, and connected rowing workout experience
- You like the idea of their gaming-inspired workout platform
- You’re not crazy about instructor-led studio-style workouts, but you want to compete against other rowers
- You want to make your workouts fun
- You like their beautiful, cherry wood WaterRower
- You prefer their water-generated rowing design
- You need a rower that takes up minimal space, and is easy to store
Buy a Concept2 if…
- You want a no frills rower, that gets the job done and is built to last
- You prefer an air-generated rowing experience
- You want a rower that is sleek and doesn’t take up a ton of space
- You want to use it with other workout apps
- You want a rower that is easy to assemble
- You’re looking for the more affordable rowing experience