TechAwards is a reader-supported website. Purchases made through links may earn a commission.
Given our present situation, working out from home has become more popular than ever. That doesn’t mean people don’t still long for going to the gym, or being around people, though. Fortunately, there’s a new wave of high-tech, connected fitness options that have hit the market recently, that take in-home workouts to another level.
Two of these options are CITYROW GO and Ergatta – connected rowing machines that offer two very different workout experiences.
Our team of fitness experts have put these two connected rowing experiences to the test, so by the end you should have a good idea about whether Ergatta or CITYROW GO is the better rower for you.
The Workout Experience: What CITYROW GO and Ergatta Have to Offer
As we mentioned at the beginning of this article, the workout experience is what separates Ergatta and CITYROW GO. They are both built on WaterRowers, so as far as that goes, the physical rowing experience is going to be pretty similar. We’ll still compare the actual hardware, though, as they both offer a different look and feel.
The Ergatta Connected Workout Experience
Ergatta (read our Ergatta review for more info) is a completely new and high-tech way to workout. They’ve introduced gaming to the world of fitness, creating a fun and unique way to be fully immersed in your fitness.
Their gaming-inspired workout platform is geared towards the person who doesn’t necessarily love going to the gym, and isn’t exactly thrilled about taking part in instructor-led fitness classes.
But, they do value their health and fitness, have a competitive nature, and like the idea of taking part in a platform that turns your rowing workout experience into a “game.”
Here are a few highlights from Ergatta’s gaming-inspired workout platform:
- Not a Workout Class: Ergatta’s experience is gaming-inspired, offers real-time performance metrics, and allows you to compete against fellow members for the Ergatta rowing community.
- Push Programs: These are goal-based training programs built around a set of sequential workouts that slowly build you up to a final challenge.
- Interval Workouts: HIIT and endurance workouts built mourned an interval-based program. Each one offers a personalized goals, and provides you feedback in real-time.
- Race Workouts: Compete in head-to-head races against other members of the Ergatta community.
- Open Row: A more relaxing rowing experience, where you’re in control of your workout. Self-led, so you decide the distance, the time, and/or goals.
Think Ergatta’s gamin-inspired platform sounds like a good fit?
The CITYROW GO Connected Workout Experience
If a studio-style workout experience is more of what you’re looking for, then CITYROW GO may be the better fit. They started the first rowing-style studio workout boutique in New York City several years ago, and now they’ve brought the experience to a streaming platform.
The instructors are some of the best in the business, and their workout experience takes you on and off the rower, for a complete and well-rounded total body workout.
Here are the highlights from CITYROW Go’s workout platform:
- Live & On Demand Studio-Style Workouts
- Variety of Workout options: HIIT, Strength, Endurance, Yoga, and more.
- Measure performance in real time
- App Comptiable with Other Rowers
Learn more at go.cityrow.com
Equipment & Hardware Comparison
Both the Ergatta and CITYROW GO are built on WaterRower rowing machines. Why is this important? Well, WaterRower has been in the business of making rowing machines for more than three decades, and during that time they built a reputation of producing high-quality rowers that are built to last.
They’re also easy to store, visually eye-catching, and use a water-based system for generating resistance with each stroke.
The two rowers are built on a different style of WaterRower, however, so let’s take a look at each in more detail, to help you determine if one may be a better fit than the other.
Ergatta Rower Overview
The Ergatta is designed with your home in mind. What does that mean exactly? It’s engineered to look incredible, so you’ll be happy to have it displayed anywhere in your house or apartment.
Every Ergatta Rower comes built on a beautiful WaterRower, that is handmade from American cherry wood in Rhode Island.
They come with a 5-year warranty, but they’re engineered to last for many years and can stand up to regular use.
They’re also easy to store, and when put away upright, they take up about as much space as a barstool, so you can tuck your Ergatta out of the way even in the smallest of spaces.
Here are a few of the Ergatta Rower highlights:
- Built-in 17.3″ High-Def Touchscreen for Fully Immersive Digital Experience
- Uses real water to generate smooth resistance, and also easier on the back
- Near silent rowing mechanism
- Rower Size: 86“ x 23” x 40“
- Size When Stored: 86” x 23“ x 22.5”
- Machine Weight: 103 LBS
- Can Support up to 500 LB user weight
CITYROW GO Rower Overview
CITYROW GO is also built on a WaterRower, so you can expect the same level of quality and sophistication that the Ergatta offers. The biggest difference between the two is that the CITYROW GO is black, instead of the cherry wood color that the Ergatta features.
It also offers a stand and store option, so it can be quickly and easily be tucked out of the way.
One main difference between the Ergatta and CITYROW rowers is that CITYROW offers two main models to pick from – the Max and the Classic. If you opt for the Max you will pay a bit more, but it comes with a mounted 21″ HD Touchscreen. The Classic saves you several hundred dollars, but will need a device to stream your workouts.
Learn more at the CITYGO website.
Price Compare: Is CITYGO ROW or Ergatta More Affordable?
When comparing Ergatta to CITYGO ROW, it’s probably best to look at CITYROW’s Max model, as it’s the most comparable to Ergatta. These two rowers are essentially priced the same, so it’s pretty much a wash. Ultimately, it will come down to the work style you prefer – Ergatta’s gaming-inspired workouts or CITYROW’s studio-style.
That said, here are the pricing details for each rower at the time of this writing:
- Ergatta: $2,199 + Subscription Cost (Price Subject to Change – See Current Pricing Here)
- CITYROW GO Max: $2,195 + Subscription Cost
As you can see, the CITYROW GO Max is $4 cheaper than the Ergatta, so that won’t probably be the difference maker in deciding which rower is best for you. CITYROW does offer a more budget friendly model of rower called the Classic, but requires you to have a device for streaming their workouts.
Summary: Deciding if Ergatta or CITYROW GO is the Right Rower for You
CITYROW GO and Ergatta offer two of the best connected rowing experiences that money can buy. Each one is built on a beautiful WaterRower rowing machine, is sleek and beautiful looking, and easy to store.
Ultimately, if you’re trying to decide between these two rowers, it’s going to come down to the type of workout experience you’re looking for. Here are a few final tips to help you decide which of these rowers will work best for you:
Buy an Ergatta if…
- You like their “gaming-inspired” workout platform
- You aren’t looking for instructor-led, studio-based workout classes
- You want to compete against fellow members
- You want to track metrics and performance in real time
- You want a variety of workout options and intensity levels
- You want to try risk-free for 30 days
You should buy a CITYROW GO if…
- You’re looking for live and on demand studio workouts
- You prefer an instructor led class
- You want to track performance in real time
- You want a variety of workout options
Learn more at their website.